Sunday, January 18, 2015

Horseback Riding at Cascadas Las Animas

After a very satisfying lunch at Cascadas Las Animas, it was time for the second round of activities. There were only four of us signed up for horseback riding, because the rest of the riders went in the morning. We were all excited for a smaller group because we figured there would be more one on one time with our guides. The horse stable was not in the center of everything at Cascadas Las Animas, and so we had a little bit of a walk.

Our first obstacle was to cross this bridge, that was hanging across the width of the river. Our guides walked across with ease, and we were all nervous because a few planks of wood were out of place and the bridge was very shaky. I figured the bridge was the least of my worries, because I had never been horseback riding before, and I was terrified of heights. The first group that went definitely heightened that fear as they filled my head things I definitely did not want to hear. I was going into this activity with positive thoughts, because I wanted to do an activity that would take me out of my comfort zone, and this was definitely it. How many times can you say that you've been horseback riding in the Andes Mountains?


We met our horses, my horse was named Paichu. Throughout the entire process I kept forgetting his name and ended up calling him Pikachu. Once we were saddled up and I had gotten on the horse I was relieved. I figured getting on and balancing myself on the horse would be the most difficult part and if I had conquered that, I would be fine. We had a quick briefing on what we were about to endure by our guides and it definitely eased my fear. Our guides told us that the most important thing was to trust the horses, and that even if they stumble, they still have three other legs to keep themselves from falling. 

As we began up the mountain I immediately asked our guide how high we would actually be going up. The horses were huge and the pathways were narrow and steep, and I figured the horses would not be able to go much further. I was wrong, she told us that we would be going to the top of Cajon del Maipo where it would plateau which was (more or less) 1,350 meters which is around 4,400 feet. This definitely frightened me, but I trusted my horse and I figured that if they do this daily, I had nothing to fear. 

The sun was scorching and I felt bad for the horses. Our guides assured us that they were able to work in these tough conditions because they were work horses. She informed us that all of their horses that they let clients ride are males because they are easier to train. They also told us that during a storm they find shelter in places called "rock houses" which is exactly how it sounds. It is a large boulder where the rider and horse will stay the night to protect themselves. I thought this was extremely interesting because our guide said she has stayed there before. 


The views were spectacular, and every now and then my horse would stumble and my heart would drop a little bit, but I had faith in my horse and I needed to step out of my comfort zone and this was the way to do it. It was extremely dusty and dry up the mountain. I was wearing a white shirt and by the end of the 2 hour ride my shirt was brown. This was by far one of the best experiences of my life. 

From the top of the mountain there were such spectacular views that are phenomenal. A few of the horses were acting out by the end because they were hungry, but these horses were stable. We even practiced trotting. This was probably the scariest part for me personally because I felt like I was going to fly off my horse. 



Overall, this was such an amazing, relaxing experience. It really allowed us to clear our heads and truly appreciate the beautiful nature that we were surrounded by. This was by far one of the coolest things I have ever done and I believe the other girls feel the same way. Our guide urged us to definitely come back if we ever visit Chile again. I know I will be back, because they were so friendly and welcoming. I am so happy I decided to step out of my comfort zone and conquer horseback riding in the Andes Mountains! 





No comments:

Post a Comment